Unit: Embedded Systems (8231)
|Level: 3||Credit Points: 3||Contribution Band: 2|
Availability in 2012: Not offered (Also available in: 2015)
SyllabusThis unit aims to:
- present fundamental assembly-language programming skills;
- illustrate the functional hardware components of a microcontroller; and
- present the skills needed to interface a variety of external devices with microcontrollers.
Class Contact3 hour lectures and 1 hour tutorial per week; plus lab works 3 hour (4 weeks).
PrerequisiteElectronic Systems and Introduction to DSP.
Assumed knowledge: Basic electronics hardware and software technologies.
Learning OutcomesOn successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
- define embedded systems, microcontrollers, and general purpose computers:
- describe the key functional units of related microcontrollers;
- apply the key concepts of the unified modelling language (ULM) to an embedded system design and illustrate the use of tools to edit, compile, assemble, link, and debug programs: and
- successfully complete a prototype designed embedded project.
- 106JA Bachelor of Engineering in Network and Software Engineering
Referenced Unit Sets
- MJ0158 Major in Network Engineering
Unit Level Key:
- 1 - Offered in first year of course curriculum
- 2 - Offered in second year of course curriculum
- 3 - Offered in third year of course curriculum
- 4 - Offered in fourth year of course curriculum
- 5 - Offered in fifth year of course curriculum
- G - Offered in graduate course curriculums
- PG - Offered in postgraduate course curriculums
- R - Offered in research course curriculums
- H - Offered in honours course curriculums