Unit: Mental Health Nursing Practicum 1 PG (7490)
|Level: P||Credit Points: 3||Contribution Band: 4, 1, 1, 4|
Availability in 2012: (Also available in: 2010, 2011, )
- S1 (BRUCE, Face-to-Face) - Convener: Dr Catherine Hungerford (Ph: +61 2 6201 5130)
Class Contact3 hours per week.
SyllabusThis unit forms a core facet of the Course by ensuring an authentic context for applying theoretical knowledge, utilising evidence-based interventions, gaining direct clinical experience in mental health, and reflecting upon this experience. Students must complete at least 500 hours of clinical practice, employed in a mental health related field. During this time, students will work closely with the unit convener on-line, and also face-to-face in the workplace, to reflect upon their experiences. Formal practice-based assessments will support this learning.
PrerequisiteEnrolment in the Graduate Certificate, Postgraduate Diploma or Masters in Mental Health Nursing courses.
In addition, to successfully complete this unit, students must be currently employed as a Registered Nurse (RN) in a mental health related field, and complete 500 hours of clinical work in this context. It is the student's responsibility to find this employment.
Learning OutcomesOn completion of the unit, the student will be able to:
- reflect upon and evaluate their clinical practice in light of Standards 1-4 of the Australian College of Mental Health Nurses (ACMHN) Standards of Practice;
- reflect upon and evaluate their clinical practice in light of Standards 1 - 6 of the Australian National Practice Standards for the Mental Health Workforce; and
- achieve a proficient level of level of clinical practice in a mental health related field.
- 161JA Graduate Certificate in Mental Health Nursing
- 359AA Postgraduate Diploma in Mental Health Nursing
Unit Level Key:
- 1 - Offered in first year of course curriculum
- 2 - Offered in second year of course curriculum
- 3 - Offered in third year of course curriculum
- 4 - Offered in fourth year of course curriculum
- 5 - Offered in fifth year of course curriculum
- G - Offered in graduate course curriculums
- PG - Offered in postgraduate course curriculums
- R - Offered in research course curriculums
- H - Offered in honours course curriculums