Unit: Contract Law (6594)
|Level: 1||Credit Points: 3||Contribution Band: 3|
Availability in 2012: Not offered (Also available in: 2013, 2014)
PrerequisiteCompletion of Legal Systems or equivalent. Entry to the LLB program.
Assumed knowledge: Basic knowledge of the legal system.
Learning OutcomesStudents should have a sound understanding of the principles of common law and equity, as well as statutory provisions, affecting the formation and enforceability, of contracts; the remedies available for breach of contract; and the principal contemporary critiques of contract law and the potential for the future development. They should also be able to provide advice of the application of the relevant principles of law to given fact situations; and have developed skills in the presentation of advice to clients concerning the application of principles of contract law.
SyllabusThis unit involves a detailed study of the law of contract. The course commences with a study of the nature of contract and the elements essential to its formation - intention to create legal relations, offer and acceptance, agreement on terms, consideration, parties and legality. The remedies available for breach of contract are also studied. The aim of this unit is to provide students with a thorough grounding in the principles of contract law.
Class ContactThree hours a week.
- 995AA Bachelor of Advertising and Marketing Communication / Bachelor of Laws
- 944AA Bachelor of Applied Economics/Bachelor of Laws
- 821AA Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- 801AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws
- 808AA Bachelor of Business Informatics/Bachelor of Laws
- 810AA Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Laws
- 127JA Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- 194JA Bachelor of Forensic Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- 996AA Bachelor of Journalism / Bachelor of Laws
- 794AA Bachelor of Laws
- 829AA Bachelor of Management/Bachelor of Laws
- 149JA Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/Bachelor of Laws
- 997AA Bachelor of Public Relations / Bachelor of Laws
- 833AA Bachelor of Science in Psychology/Bachelor of Laws
- 836AA Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Laws
- 837AA Bachelor of Sports Media/Bachelor of Laws
Referenced Unit Sets
- MJ0082 Major in Law Foundation
Unit Level Key:
- 1 - Offered in first year of course curriculum
- 2 - Offered in second year of course curriculum
- 3 - Offered in third year of course curriculum
- 4 - Offered in fourth year of course curriculum
- 5 - Offered in fifth year of course curriculum
- G - Offered in graduate course curriculums
- PG - Offered in postgraduate course curriculums
- R - Offered in research course curriculums
- H - Offered in honours course curriculums