Unit: Cardiothoracic Interventions 2 PG (6455)
|Level: P||Credit Points: 3||Contribution Band: 2|
Availability in 2012: Not offered (Also available in: 2013, 2014)
PrerequisiteCardiothoracic Interventions 1PG, Health Professional Practice 1PG, Musculo-skeletal Interventions 1, Neuromuscular Interventions PG.
Learning OutcomesOn completion of this unit the student will have demonstrated effective assessment and interpretation, planning, implementation and evaluation of intervention skills required for the practice of physiotherapy in the acute care environment. The student will be able to prescribe appropriate exercise interventions using the principles of exercise testing, prescription and training as applied to patients who have cardiac and respiratory limitations to exercise, as well as to the normal population as a component of health promotion. These competencies will be demonstrated and integrated into clinical physiotherapy practice.
SyllabusUsing a problem solving approachthis unit further develops the students knowledge and skills in the assessment and management of patients with acute cardiac and respiratory dysfunction. Specific issues relating to clinical and professional practice in the intensive care and acute care environment are examined. The principles of exercise testing, prescription and training will be applied to patients who have cardiac and pulmonary limitations to exercise, as well as to the normal population as a component of health promotion.
Class ContactTwo hours per week lecture or equivalent; two hours per week tutorial/practical work; up to 160 hours clinical placement over a year.
- 768AA Master of Physiotherapy
Unit Level Key:
- 1 - Offered in first year of course curriculum
- 2 - Offered in second year of course curriculum
- 3 - Offered in third year of course curriculum
- 4 - Offered in fourth year of course curriculum
- 5 - Offered in fifth year of course curriculum
- G - Offered in graduate course curriculums
- PG - Offered in postgraduate course curriculums
- R - Offered in research course curriculums
- H - Offered in honours course curriculums