Widening Participation manages a team of enthusiastic University of Canberra students for paid casual work as Aspirations Agents. Aspirations Agents assist the Widening Participation Team to deliver a range of programs to encourage students who are traditionally less likely to participate in higher education to view university as a valuable and attainable option.
By working with a number of enthusiastic student Aspirations Agents, drawn from a variety of disciplines, backgrounds and a range of hometowns, our aim is to build networks and relationships with high school students in Canberra and the outlying regions in NSW.
Aspirations Agents will work on our Outreach Programs to inspire high school students from disadvantaged backgrounds to aspire to higher education; however, you may also be invited to assist with a range of our programs throughout the year.
Duties and responsibilities of a UC Aspirations Agent may include:
- Assisting with our campus-based university experience programs
- Assisting Widening Participation team members to facilitate lesson delivery at target high schools
- Participating in discussions answering a variety of student generated questions about university life, study skills, courses and career pathways from your own experience
- Assisting with on-campus UC 4 Yourself programs which may involve: leading campus tours, working with groups of students, ensuring students are supported during their visit, and performing other program-related tasks as required
- Being a positive role model and a proud ambassador of the University of Canberra
- Assisting with various University of Canberra events and programs including: Orientation Week, rural and regional student transition programs and Open Day
- Speaking at Community and Parent Information sessions
- Assisting to develop new programs and lessons.
Aspirations Agents are students who easily identify with our target high school students, many of whom will be from rural areas or first-in-family to pursue tertiary studies. Aspirations Agents demonstrate excellent communication skills, a positive attitude, confidence in sharing their university experiences with others and the ability to build rapport with school-aged students. We value students who are reliable, proactive and outgoing.
The exciting role of an Aspirations Agent also includes unique opportunities to access benefits and training provided by the university:
- Opportunity to attend leadership training and conferences
- Training and career opportunities
- Development of public speaking skills and effective communication skills
- Networking opportunities with faculty academics and other University and school staff
- Certificate of Appreciation from the Director of Student Life and opportunity for excellent references
- Other opportunities as they arise.