Professor Elisa Martinez-Marroquin
Associate Dean, Education
Tel: +61 2 6201 2151
Dr Elisa Martinez Marroquin received a B.Eng degree in Telecommunications Engineering, M.Eng. and PhD degrees in Electronic Engineering. She complemented her degrees with executive education with a Master in Project Management and an Executive Program on Management Skills by ESADE Business School, and with specialization education with a MSc in Computer Vision. She was an Assistant Professor from 1996 to 2001 and afterwards an Associate Professor for ten years in the School of Engineering at Ramon Llull University. There she served as Head of Discipline for 8 years, during which she led the creation of the Multimodal Processing Research Group and the associated Technology Transfer Area. She then became the director of the Master of Research in Information Technology and Management, with responsibility in the design of the degree and successful accreditation under the European Higher Education Area (Bologna process). She was appointed Director of the MSc in Entrepreneurship and Innovation at Pompeu Fabra University in 2012, also with responsibility in the design of the degree for accreditation. In 2013, she joined the Faculty of Education, Science, Technology and Mathematics at the University of Canberra, where she is an Associate Professor, currently in the role of Associate Dean Education.
Dr. Martinez is author of a patent and numerous papers published in international journals and conferences. She has participated in 14 research projects, being the chief investigator in 9, and has been responsible of 10 technology transfer projects. She has served as independent expert of the European Commission for the evaluation of ICT projects submitted to the EU Research Framework Programme since 2004. She holds the PRINCE2 International Accreditation in Project Management. Elisa was appointed Visiting Researcher at the University of Oxford in 1997, and Visiting Senior Research Fellow at the National University of Singapore, where she worked during 2011.
- Quality Assurance in Higher Education
- Computer Vision
- Image processing
- Pattern Recognition
- Member, Engineers Australia (EA)
- Member, Australian Computer Society (ACS)
- 2011: Award of a grant from the Spanish Ministry of Education under the program for international mobility of professors.
- 2007: Award from the Work Department of the Catalan Government to undertake an Executive Program on Management Skills at ESADE Business School.
- 2006: Supervisor of a PhD thesis awarded best doctoral thesis in the field of Information and Communications Technology by Epson Foundation (award open to Spanish and Portuguese Universities).
- 2000: Highest Distinction (Excellent Cum Laude) for the PhD Thesis.
- 1997: Catalan Government grant for a pre-doctoral stay at an international research centre. I was appointed Visiting Researcher at the University of Oxford (UK).
- 1995: Highest Distinction (Excellent Cum Laude) for the Final Year Engineering Project in Electronic Engineering.
- 1994-1995: Spanish Science and Technology Ministry Scholarship for the duration of the Electronic Engineering Degree.
- 1993: Best Final Year Engineering Project Award in Telecommunications Engineering by the National College of Telecommunications Engineers.
- 1990-1993: Epson fellow scholarship for the three years of the Bachelor of Engineering in Telecommunications.