Head of School of Law & Deputy Dean (Faculty of Business, Government & Law)
BA/LLB (Hons), Grad Dip in Legal Practice, PhD (Tas), Barrister & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Tasmania and the High Court of Australia.
Maree has over four years experience as a barrister and solicitor. She worked in general practice in Tasmania, mainly in the area of litigation. She also worked with the Australian Government Solicitor in their Commercial Group, Technology and Intellectual Property Branch.
Maree currently teaches in Equity, Advanced Legal Research & Writing & Intellectual Property Law.
Research & Publications
- Clark, E and Sainsbury M, Privacy and the Internet, Law Book Company, Sydney, 2002. This publication outlines the application of the new private sector privacy laws (effective from December 2001) to the Internet, in particular in an e-commerce context. The publication is a part of the Law Book Companys E-Commerce series. The publication is available both as a hard copy book and on-line.
- Sainsbury, M, Moral Rights and Their Application in Australia, The Federation Press, Sydney, 2003. This book outlines the Australian moral rights legislation introduced in 2000. It explains how moral rights will apply to particular authors and circumstances, for example, indigenous creators, digital works, films, architects, visual artists and performers.
- Sainsbury, M, Annotated Copyright Act, Thomson Lawbook Co, Sydney 2004. This book provides commentary on the Copyright Act 1968, explaining the operation of the law and development of case law.
Sainsbury, M, Halsburys Laws of Australia, Equity Title, updates of and contributions to (with Michael Evans and Matthew Tyson) the following chapters, 2008:
- The Nature of Equity
- Equitable Property Interests
- Assurances and Assignments
- Unconscionable Transactions
- Miscellaneous Doctrines
- Equitable Remedies
- Equitable Defences
Refereed Journal Articles
- Sainsbury, M, Copyright and Computer Software, Journal of Law and Information Science, vol 8, no 1, 1997.
- Sainsbury, M, Copyright in the Digital Age, Journal of Law and Information Science, vol 11, issue 2, 2000.
- Sainsbury, M, Copyright and Databases: Finding the Match, Digital Technology Law Journal, vol 3, no 1, 2001.
- Sainsbury, M, 'Whats it got to do with morality: Moral rights: an historic and contemporary perspective', Media International Australia: Culture and Policy, vol 114, 2005, pp 61- 70.
- Sainsbury, M, Publishing Online: Considering the Moral Rights Implications, Internet Law Bulletin, LexisNexis Butterworths, vol 9, no 6-7, October 2006.
- Sainsbury, M, Governance and the Process of Law Reform: The Copyright Term Extension in Australia, Canberra Law Review, 2006
- Sainsbury, M, Parody, Satire and Copyright Infringement: The Latest Addition to Australian Fair Dealing Law, Media and Arts Law Review, vol 12, no 3, 2007, pp 292-319.
- Sainsbury, M, Parody, Satire, Honour And Reputation: The Interrelationship Of The Defence Of Fair Dealing for the Purposes of Parody And Satire And The Authors Moral Rights, Australian Intellectual Property Journal, Vol 18, no 3, 2007, pp 149- 166.
- Sainsbury, M, Intensive Teaching of Graduate Law Subjects: McEducation or Good Preparation for the Demands of Legal Practice?, Journal of the Australasian Law Teachers Association, 2008.